As promised in my previous post, here is a recipe for a super yummy Apple Spinach Salad I make often. I’m still trying to get my 10 year-old to indulge but trust me, this salad is awesome for a number of reasons. Examine the spinach alone: High in Niacin and Zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and all of the B Vitamins, particularly Folate (natural source of B9). Real quick shopping tip: make sure to buy organic spinach! I love to serve this salad with a home-made Apple Cider Vinaigrette (ACV) dressing. So, why apple cider? Im sure you’ve heard a little bit about the benefits of consuming apple cider and bottom line is it’s truly good for you! ACV has been known to aid in reducing acid reflux symptoms, weight loss and skin and digestive issues.
Apple Spinach Salad
- 2 apples sliced thinly (any variety you prefer)
- 1 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 jicama, thinly julienned (optional but adds a nice crunch)
- 1/2 cup roasted pecans or almonds
- 1/4 cup naturally dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup goat cheese or feta (I like this cheese to be creamy in texture but if the “goat’s milk” thing scares you, than you can try feta made from cow’s milk.)
- 1 bunch spinach, trimmed
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin, cold-pressed olive oil or grape seed oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Throw all dressing ingredients in a small blender and blend for about 20 seconds. If you want to make your dressing a little sweeter, add in 2-3 drops Stevia and/or toss in a couple of fresh raspberries or strawberries. Soooo good!
Set aside the goat cheese, but add all other salad ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl and gently toss. Spoon 1-2 Tbsp. of the yummy apple cider vinaigrette dressing per serving, sprinkling the goat cheese on top. You can also serve with freshly grilled or broiled chicken. Enjoy!